What is Fluoride Varnish?
- Varnish is a coating of concentrated fluoride painted on teeth.
- Strengthens teeth and helps prevent tooth decay (cavities).
- Can slow the progression of early tooth decay.
Tell Me More!
- There is no discomfort involved.
- Simple and easy to apply. Only takes a few minutes!
- At no cost to families.
Is There Anything I Need to Do or Avoid After the Fluoride Varnish Application?
- Your child may eat or drink after the Fluoride Varnish has been applied.
- Avoid sticky or hard foods and hot drinks for the rest of the day.
- Wait until the next morning to brush your child's teeth.
How Often Should My Child Get Professional Fluoride Treatments?
- It is recommended that fluoride be applied at least every six months.
- Your dentist may recommend more frequent applications for your child up to 4 times a year.
Is Fluoride in Toothpaste Enough to Prevent Cavities?
- By itself, it may not be enough!
- If your child is already using fluoride toothpaste, that's great! It is safe and encouraged for your child to have fluoride from toothpaste with the fluoride varnish.
- Drinking tap water is an added benefit since there is a little fluoride in most public water sources too.