Public Health Internship Program
The Maricopa County Department of Public Health is dedicated to the growth and development of the next generation of public health practitioners. Our internship program is designed to be the bridge between academic learning and real-life work application through meaningful project opportunities and leadership development.
As a Public Health intern, students will participate in three essential components of the Internship Program:
The project assignment which encompasses the day-to-day, project-based work of the specific offices within the public health department. Students will:
- Work on a mission-driven project designed to be a resume builder
- Have professional one-on-one mentorship
- Be exposed to the innerworkings of governmental public health
The Leadership Academy is designed to develop the essential skills identified by hiring managers within public health programs. The academy will include:
- Professional development seminars
- Program Highlights to discover other public health programs within the department
- Built-in reflections and career roadmaps
- Networking with other students and working professionals who are dedicated to making a difference
The Internship Program will conclude with a Symposium open to the entire Public Health Department, where interns will:
- Be recognized by the department for their work
- Practice public speaking skills by presenting their project outcomes and lessons learned
The Public Health Internship Program goes beyond the office work experience and truly emphasizes the importance of preparing a well-rounded next generation of the public health workers.
Current Academic Partners
In order to receive credit for an internship, Maricopa County requires an agreement with your school. We currently have working agreements with the following schools:
- AT Still University
- Alverno College, School of Nursing and Health Professionals
- Arizona College
- Arizona State University
- Aspen University
- Benedictine University
- Brigham Young University
- Brookline College
- Capella University
- Catholic University of America
- Central Arizona College
- Chamberlain University
- Creighton University
- Des Moines University
- Eastern Michigan University
- George Washington University
- Graceland College
- Grand Canyon University
- Iowa State University, College of Human Sciences and College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Kansas City University of Medical & Bioscience
- Liberty University, School of Health Sciences
- Maricopa Community College District, College and Skill Centers
- Midwestern University
- New Mexico State University
- Northern Arizona University
- Priority Nutrition Care, LLC
- Purdue University Global
- Southern New Hampshire University
- SUNY Buffalo, Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- SUNY Oneonta
- Temple University, College of Public Health
- University of Arizona, Arizona Health Sciences Center (Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy and Public Health)
- United States University, College of Nursing and Health Sciences
- University of North Dakota, School of Medicine
- University of Illinois Chicago, School of Public Health
- University of Nevada - Reno
- University of New England, MPH Program
- University of Phoenix
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Public Health
- University of St. Francis, College of Nursing
- University of Wisconsin - Green Bay
- Upper Iowa University
- Walden University
- Western Washington University, Department of Health and Human Development
Is your school not listed?
Have your advisor contact Tatiana Gleason at email@example.com to discuss establishing a partnership with your school or university to ensure you will receive academic credit for your time spent at Maricopa County Department of Public Health.
Sunday, April 30, 2023
Final Interview Deadline
Friday, May 12, 2023
Confirmation to accept position, if offered
Wednesday, May 17, 2023
Wednesday, May 31, 2023
Friday, July 28, 2023
Final day of internship
Friday, July 28, 2023
For questions or additional information, please contact Tatiana Gleason at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can start your application here for the internship you are interested in (see available internships here). All applicants will need to fill out the application, upload their resume and write a personal statement. For Summer 2023, the deadline is April 30, 2022.
If you wish to apply to a specific internship position listed above, please select that position name on the Interests section of the application.
Interns must be at least 18 years of age and eligible to work in the U.S. Check the job descriptions for specific job requirements.
You do not need to be affiliated with a school or currently a student to apply.
Show your passion! We want to see students who are dedicated to public health initiatives. Show us how this internship will align with your future aspirations.
Tailor your resume to match the skills listed in the job description.
Students are expected to engage with the project, preceptors, and other students within the academy. This program is intended to not only provide work experience, but grow your network, professional skills, and confidence in your chosen career path.
Yes! If you wish to apply for multiple positions, be sure to tailor your answers to match each job description and select the position name in the Interests section of the application.
All applicants will hear a final answer by the middle of May.
Yes, but most internships are in-person. See the job description for details on remote work and hybrid work.
Each internship is for 1 semester, or 15 weeks. It can be extended depending on the project.
The minimum hours required by the program is 10 a week (150 hours). If your school requires more, we will build that into the program.
Funding is established by available grants. The job description will indicate if it is paid or not. Those that are paid internships are listed at market range pay.
If you see “funding is available” the position will be paid unless your school requires an unpaid internship.
Each project has their own requirements. Please see the job descriptions for details.